Friday 1 January 2010

D. Rickard - Part I

In an earlier post I talked about D. Rickard, an artist for Canadian paperbacks from 1949 to 1953, with most of the work in 1949 and 1950. I noted that I could find no information about him or her. That is still the case. For example he is not in the Artists in Canada data base maintained by the Canadian Heritage Information Network.

His career is odd - working for so many publishers in such a short time then seemingly disappearing. With only Harlequin surviving beyond 1952 perhaps his work was not right for other commercial work. So all that's left is the covers which I'll start showcasing by year, starting with 1949. The first group are all from Export Publishing Enterprises Ltd. I've indicated if signed or not. An unsigned cover is presented if I believe it is more likely than not his work.


News Stand Library 35 (March 1949) - unsigned


News Stand Library 39 (April 1949) unsigned


News Stand Library 41 (May 1949) unsigned


New Stand Library 43 (May 1949) - signed


News Stand Library 54 (June 1949) - signed

No comments:

Post a Comment